The time for President Trump’s repeated baseless allegations of fraud is over, however that does not imply the drama has ended. Lawmakers observe an archaic timeline set out the Structure and US legislation to make Biden president.
Simply as then-Vice President Biden oversaw the counting of electoral votes that gave Trump the White Home in 2017, now it is going to be Vice President Mike Pence, Trump’s loyal soldier these final 4 years, who will announce the vote tally that formally makes Biden the winner. Learn extra about that right here.
And Republicans should select how deeply they need to observe Trump into his rabbit gap of conspiracy theories.
Lawmakers may have the power to boost objections concerning the vote — identical to some Democrats did in 2017. However whereas these objections had been dismissed simply in 2017, Republican senators might, in the event that they select, drag the method out this 12 months, and drive the Home and Senate to vote on particular person factors.
Here is a breakdown of what is going to happen on Jan. 6:
- Electoral votes are counted in Congress.
- Members of the Home and the Senate will meet within the Home chamber. The President of the Senate — that is Vice President Mike Pence — will preside over the session and the electoral votes will probably be learn and counted in alphabetical order by two appointees every from the Home and Senate.
- They may then give their tallies to Pence, who will announce the outcomes and hear for objections.
- If there are objections, the Home and Senate think about them individually to resolve depend these votes.
- There are 538 electoral votes — one for every congressman and senator plus three for Washington, DC. If no candidate will get to a majority — that is 270 — then the 435 members of the Home resolve the election. Every state will get a vote. So whereas there are extra Democrats within the Home, Republicans, as of now, management extra state delegations, so it’s potential the Home might decide Trump though there’s a Democratic majority.
- The Home has till midday on January 20 to choose the President. If they can not, it might be the vp or the subsequent individual eligible within the line of presidential succession.